Phlegmatic Temperament in Astrology
The Phlegmatic temperament brings together the qualities of Cold and Humid and is associated with the Water element. It produces a sensitive and reserved personality, with a strong emotional motivation. Like the Melancholic, he is introverted, but the presence of Humid gives him plasticity and adaptability.
She is highly emotionally motivated: she understands the world and makes decisions aimed at maintaining her emotional safety and well-being. When privileging emotional “reasons”, it can be very subjective and volatile (“what is good today because it makes me feel good, can be bad tomorrow because it makes me feel bad”), sometimes reaching incongruity.
You are interested in how you feel and what promotes your safety. He is delighted with new people and situations, but easily takes a passive and even a little lazy posture. In general, he is a shy and collected temperament.
Although emotion and feelings are the basis of Phlegmatic behavior, they are almost never openly displayed. Although sensitive and empathetic, he avoids compromises and is not very expressive. You tend to take on conciliatory roles and have too much patience. When emotionally disturbed, he adopts a closed and even listless posture.
Due to its excessive malleability, laziness and laziness are the main flaws. He hardly shows courage in his actions and determination in his goals. At worst, their focused emotionality manifests itself in the form of greed, cowardice, deceit, and sentimental manipulation.
By mixing with the Choleric temperament , the Phlegmatic gains greater agility and boldness. The general expression tends to be more temperate, due to the contrast between the primitive qualities of both.
The participation of Bloodline adds the Caliente quality, which gives it greater joy and dynamism, minimizing the more static facets of the Phlegmatic temperament. The predominance of Moist reinforces flexibility and plasticity.
The combination with the Melancholic temperament emphasizes the Cold, developing the introverted characteristics. However, the addition of Dry gives it greater strength and perseverance.
In physiognomic terms, the Phlegmatic has a medium to low height. It has a fleshy body, with a flaccid tendency and makes you fat easily. The skin is smooth and cool to the touch, generally pale or whitish in color and with little hairiness.
This temperament is associated with the state of mind called “phlegm”, which is responsible for lubricating and maintaining body temperature. In modern terms it corresponds to mucus and lymph.
Practical Application of Temperaments
Temperaments are the key to interpreting a horoscope.
Each planet or sign has affinities with one of the four temperaments, which serves as the basis for defining its characteristics.
The combination of a planet’s temperament and the sign where it is placed is the basis of astrological interpretation.
In Natal Astrology it is possible to determine the temperament (or combination of temperaments) of each individual. This global temperament describes the basic characteristics, which condition all behaviors, motivations and personal dynamics.
The manifestation of the particularities indicated on the map is always subject to the dominant temperament. For example, an astrological indicator of aggressiveness will have a different expression on an angry temperament map (which reinforces the aggressive tendency) or on a phlegmatic temperament map (which retracts it). Temperament is, therefore, a type of background on which personality manifests itself.
The calculation for determining individual temperament has a degree of complexity, which takes into account the relative weight of the four primitive qualities of the horoscope.
In the weighting, the primitive qualities of the Ascendant and the Moon (as well as the planetary configurations associated with it) are considered, to which the temperament of the sun sign is added.
Source - Helena Avelar and Luís Ribeiro, in Treatise on the Spheres - A Practical Guide to the Astrological Tradition. Editorial Pergaminho. Cascais, Portugal, 2007, pp. 45-6.
Primordial Qualities - The Principle of Everything
In astrology, vital energy initially manifests through Primordial Qualities (also called Primary Qualities or Primitive Qualities). These are present in nature and in matter, subtly regulating cosmic energy.
All forms of life are expressed through the Primitive Qualities and they are also the pieces that constitute the elements, the signs and the planets, that is to say, they are the basic basis of Astrology.
Each of these axes represents opposite attributes:
- Hot and cold
- Dry and Wet
I know that:
- Hot - action, movement, impulsiveness
- Cold - receptivity, passivity, melancholy, observation
- Dry - permanence, stagnation, crystallization, concentration
- Wet - flexibility, volatility, malleability
Primitive Qualities and the Energy of the Planets
Planet / Quality / Element / Temperament
- Sun - Hot and Dry = Fire (Choleric)
- Moon - Cold and Humid = Water (Phlegmatic)
- Mercury - this planet does not have a defined quality, as it tends to absorb the qualities of what it comes into contact with. However, when viewed in isolation, without any other influence, it is considered Cold and Dry. (Melancholic)
- Venus - Cold and Humid = Water (Phlegmatic)
- Mars - Hot and Dry = Fire (Choleric)
- Jupiter - Hot and Humid = Air (Blood)
- Saturn - Cold and Dry = Earth (Melancholic)
- What Is Your Biggest Insecurity Based On Your Astrology Zodiac Sign?
- Which Zodiac Is Most Humble And Which One Is Most Self-centered?
- Phlegmatic Temperament In Astrology
- Choleric Temperament In Astrology
- Blood Temperament In Astrology
- Melancholic Temperament In Astrology
- The Most Honest Astrology Zodiac Signs
- What It's Like To Date With One Of The Zodiac Boys
- The Sexiest Thing About Each Zodiac Sign
- How To Get Out Of A Toxic Relationship According To Your Sign
- What Is The Purpose Of Each Zodiac Sign In Life?
- How Each Zodiac Sign Manipulates You
- The Drama Of Each Zodiac Sign
- Simple Tips For Each Of The Signs
- Which City Should You Live In Based On Your Zodiac Sign?